What is a Doula?by April Todd on 08/31/11
Many people ask us... What is a doula? Why do I need a doula?
Please watch the following video to get the answers to your many questions.
Numerous clinical studies have shown that a doula's presence at birth:
- Tends to resort in shorter labors with fewer complications
- Reduces negative feelings about one's childbirth experience
- Reduces the need for pitocin (a labor inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
- Reduces the mother's request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
- Feel more secure and cared for
- Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- Have greater success with breastfeeding
- Have greater self-confidence
- Have less postpartum depression
- Have lower incidence of abuse